Recognizing Warning Signs of Abuse
Here are some signs you might notice if your teen is experiencing dating abuse. Remember, just because you see one sign does not necessarily mean it is an abusive relationship; but if you think the relationship is headed that way, the time to talk to your teen is now.
- She gives up hobbies or other activities she once enjoyed.
- Once a straight-A student, his grades start slipping.
- You see changes in mood or personality.
- You see signs of depression, anxiety and other mental health issues.
- He is worried about making his girlfriend jealous.
- She withdraws from friends or family and spends all her time with her boyfriend.
- Her boyfriend controls how she dresses, behaves and who she can hang out with.
- His girlfriend is jealous when anyone else pays attention to him, especially other girls.
- You see her boyfriend violently lose his temper, striking or breaking objects.
- He laughs off her violent behavior as a joke, or makes excuses for the way she acts.
- She has unexplained injuries, or her explanations don’t make sense.
- She calls him names and puts him down in public.
National Teen Dating Abuse Helpline: 1.866.331.9474, www.loveisrespect.org
<<Previous: Do Parents Really Know? Next: Tips for Talking to Your Teen>>