Characteristics of a Healthy Relationship
In a healthy relationship:
- You feel good about yourself
- You are comfortable speaking your mind Y
- ou feel a strong sense of friendship and trust
- You are respected, supported, and safe
- You are treated as an equal
- You can negotiate and communicate honestly
- You feel strong—both on your own and as a partner
Healthy relationships are based on respect, honesty, fairness, negotiation, trust, and support. There is give and take in a healthy relationship; both partners feel in control of their own personal actions and decisions.
In abusive relationships, there is a lack of respect, honesty, fairness, negotiation, trust, and support. There is an uneven balance of power, and one partner is more in control of another’s actions and decision.
You have the right to make your own choices about your life. If you feel that you are in an abusive relationship, or you think that someone you know is in an abusive relationship, you can get help.
<<Previous: What is Dating Abuse? Next: The Facts About Dating Abuse>>